Thursday, March 12, 2009

Two Months Ago Today...

...I lost my precious, beautiful, angel dog, Poco. That's his picture to the left, which I use as my avatar. I can't let today go by without writing about Poco. Truth is, I'm still crying every day for him. I went to a wonderful pet loss support session last night, which was very helpful. But, like any loss, it's just the dragging passage of time that eases the pain, but also, sadly, takes you farther and farther away from your lost one.

Poco was my Buddhist monk. I'm not saying that lightly. He truly personified (dogified?) every aspect of goodness: kind, loving, peaceful (a proactive peacemaker), accepting, brilliant....I could go on and on. We experienced lots in the 10 years we spent with him, and I was grateful for every day he was a part of my life. From peacefully dealing with an aggressive foster dog, a house disaster, movie-making, modeling, and so much more, he was a shining angel star. 

Then there was the intoxicating, unique, most wonderful smell of his fur. 

Logically, we know that dogs live shorter lives than we do. We know we will be faced with the inevitable pain of loss at some point. But for some reason, logic went out the window, and I stupidly thought I could wish him to live for 30 years or more. And it wasn't just for my own selfish reasons--the world was a better place with Poco in it. He danced and made so many people smile. He was loved everywhere he went. He was so beautiful, inside and out. 

Some pictures of him...


























I did this painting about three weeks after he died:


















It says "Dog is Love" in the center (same design from my pendant) and "we will be together again" on the bottom.

For Poco, with every bit of my heart.

1 comment:

  1. I'm truly sorry to hear about the passing of Poco. It's never easy when someone we love passes and even harder when someone who loves us unconditionally passes. If it is any consolation, my pal Nadine has a blog that helps us pet parents work with our emotions in these difficult times. If it helps you even in the slightest, http://petparenthood.blogspot.com

    Best,
    Organidog

    ReplyDelete